RIVERTON CITY PARK
Project Confirmation Number: 4516
Municipal: Courthouses, Libraries, Rec Centers, Performance Hall, Police/Fire Stations, other Local, State, or Federal Facility
12830 Redwood Road
Riverton, UT 84065
Brief description of the project:
The centerpiece of the new park is an indoor meeting facility reminiscent of an iconic church building that was built in the early 1900’s and torn down about 30 years later. The new domed building incorporated architectural details from the original building (as far as they were documented), but adapted to support current building codes.
Size of Building:
Amount of Masonry Used (include all types and number of units):
The base for the new building is a concrete, colored, striated surface, brick veneer. Approximately 80% of the building's facade is comprised of masonry veneer.
Project completion date: April 2015
Explain the project and its unique use of masonry materials and techniques:
The “DOME CHURCH” located in Riverton, Utah was originally built and dedicated in 1920. It was designed by Richard W. Kletting, Architect. He was the same Architect that designed notable Utah buildings as the Utah State Capitol and the Saltair Pavilion. At the time, the Dome Church as the tallest structure on the west end of the Salt Lake Valley. Its original location was 12800 South Redwood Road. It housed the Riverton Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, with its high ceilings, excessive maintenance and heating problems, it was demolished in 1940 after just thirty years of service. Seventy five years later the Dome Church again graces the Riverton skyline with its towering dome, distinct finials and masonry façade. The text on its entry pediment reads, “THE OLD DOME MEETING HALL”. It is a two story structure with a full basement (4,928 square feet) housing mechanical and storage functions. The main level (4,928 square feet) has an office, kitchen, serving room and central rotunda. From there you can gaze 55’-0” above your head to the dome and its dome-capping lantern with full-gazed surround. The Mezzanine level (2,637 square feet), with its open floor plate to below, is display space for Riverton City historical archives.
The primary cladding on this building is brick in a 4” x 4” x 16” size throughout the project. The pattern, textures and colors are quite simple. The base of the original building appeared to have concrete or a stucco coated substrate finish. The base of the new building is a concrete, colored, striated, brick veneer. This gives the base of the building a visual strength that appears to anchor it to the surrounding landscape. The panels above the base are veneered in smooth textured brick in a deep rich reddish hue. A painting of the Dome Church, provided by Riverton City during the design phase, depicted the colors in this fashion. However, historic documentation was limited and some literary license had to be taken.
Masonry veneer materials were desired in order to match the historic text and visually reinforce the monumental nature of this structure. Approximately 80% of the building’s facade is comprised of masonry veneer. The remaining 20% is stucco, glazing and metal. The Dome Church was a highly revered edifice in its early days and stands again, as testimony of architectural importance in Riverton, Utah today.
HARV & HIGAM MASONRY
Click on photos below to enlarge.
- About UMC
Programs & Events
- Excellence in Masonry Design 2018 Judging
- 2018 Excellence in Masonry Design Awards Entry Guidelines
- 2018 Excellence in Masonry Design Project Entry Fee & Submission Page
- 2018 Excellence in Masonry Design Project Photo Submission Page
- 2018 Lifetime Masonry Service Award Nominations
- 2018 Excellence in Masonry Design Sponsor Opportunities
- 2018 Excellence in Masonry Design Awards Dinner
- Previous EIMD Winners >
- 2017 EIMD Photos
- Membership Directory
- Masonry Jobs
- News & Technical Info
- Contact UMC
Sustainable - Masonry - Brick - Block - Stone